Happy New Year!
2012 may be bringing wedding bells into your life. If so, best wishes to you! To help you get started in your planning, this week’s theme is Wedding Table Centerpieces.
- Tulle of color(s) of your choice
- Green foam disc for the base
- Green foam ball(I used a 6” one)
- Wooden dowel
- Corsage pins
- Glass dish, basket, or other container
1. Begin by cutting your tulle for the topiary into 18” strips. It took about 25 yards of tulle to cover the entire ball.
2. Take a strip of tulle and ball up one end to create the center. Slowly twist and wrap the tulle around the center to create a rosette. This is similar to the technique used for the Rosette Headband.
3. Once you get to the end of your rosette, fold the end under the rosette. Place a pin through the center of the rosette making sure that it goes through the end that you just folded under your rosette.
4. Push pin into the foam ball to secure your rosette into place. You can paint the Styrofoam ball if you would like, but I liked the green showing through a little. Continue pinning the rosettes around the ball until you have covered the foam ball.
5. Now it’s time to grab your dowel. You may paint the dowel or cover it in ⅜” ribbon. You will want to decide what part of the ball you would like to be the bottom. Carefully insert the dowel into the bottom of the ball.
6. Secure your foam disc to the center of your glass dish or other desired base. You can use hot glue or any other craft glue to do this. Take some strips of tulle and bunch it around the exterior of the foam disc until the space between the disc and the container is filled. Stick the dowel into the center of the foam disc. Secure bunches of tulle to the top of the disc until you can no longer see the foam disc. You could also use tissue paper or colored glass beads to hide the foam disc.
7. Now your topiary is ready for the table. If you use sparkle tulle, I recommend misting the finished topiary with hair spray to help keep the glitter from “shedding”. I used white sparkle tulle for my topiary, but the sky is the limit. You could use any color or even use a few different colors.
Check back Wednesday for our weekly tip. This week’s tip will help you create the perfect accent for this centerpiece.
Let’s make it a great year!
Click here to order supplies.