Standard Adjustable Collar
RABOM is very excited to offer it’s new selection of pet hardware! Here’s a tutorial to teach you how to make a custom collar for your pet. Let’s get started!
- Nylon Webbing
- Collar D-Ring
- Collar Loop
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric Tac or double sided tape
- Coordinating Thread
- Ribbon of your choice
- A cute pet…of course!
I would HIGHLY recommend practicing these instructions (minus the sewing) a few times before your make your first collar. It is very easy to thread an item on backwards!
- First you need to cut your webbing. See chart below
Once you cut your webbing you will need to seal the edges immediately, Nylon Webbing frays very quickly. You can do this by holding a flame to the cut edge of the ribbon. This can be done with a lighter or Candle lighter is most preferred by crafters.
2. Cut your Ribbon approximately 3 inches longer than the webbing. Heat sealing the ribbon is not necessary.
3. Attach the Ribbon to the webbing with double sided tape or fabric tac. . It is not 100% necessary, but will make sewing the ribbon on straight a breeze. Leave about 1.5 inches of ribbon over hang the webbing and fold over to back side.
4. Thread your sewing machine with coordinating thread. The Bobbin thread should match the webbing color and the upper thread should match the ribbon.
5. Change your Thread Stitch length to 3.5 and sew the ribbon onto the webbing using a 1/8 inch seam guide.
6.Lay your webbing/ribbon on the table with the webbing side facing up/ ribbon side facing down. Starting on the Left, take one side of your buckle and thread your webbing through the loops like picture shown. Thread through approximately 1/4 of the webbing.
7.Thread your Collar loop through both layers of webbing
8.Thread your Triglide onto the TOP layer of webbing as shown.
9. Now fold under the webbing and sew together using a Box with an X through it shape. This will give extra durability to the collar.
10.Now take the Loose end of webbing and thread through the triglide on top of what you just sewed.
11. Time to add the D-Ring. Thread your D-Ring onto the webbing and thread the other end of the buckle onto the webbing.
12. Now Use the same Box pattern to Secure the D-ring and Buckle.
Now enjoy your new Collar.
All Instructions are copyright by Ribbon and Bows Oh My, 2012
Click here to purchase pet hardware