Whew – and we’re back online! Here at Ribbon and Bows Oh My, we switched to a new website layout and knocked our blog down in the process. New, responsive, beautiful, and easier to navigate, we’re in love with it! If you have not seen it, go check it out.
Along with the new website, we added some new goodies – RABOM Felt Bows! 21 new colors and enough material to make six adorable bows. You can mix-and-match the loops, double up loops or tails, and make tails-out or tails-down bows. What’s our favorite thing about these new bows? No sewing! They come together entirely with a glue gun. You can sew if you like, but you don’t have to!
Check out all new RABOM Round Bow, RABOM Medium Bow and RABOM Baby Bow!
With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, we thought we would share some last minute, fun and easy Valentine crafts! Enjoy!
Wear your love on your sleeve!
Write 10 things you love about that special person in your life.
Washi Tape Card
Send love letters to your special friend or loved one.
Gold Mason Jar
Perfect for your Valentine’s Day flowers!
Do you have other crafts that you enjoy creating around Valentine’s Day? If so, we would love to hear about them. Happy crafting!
I love handmade notebooks & journals! This fun sized notebook is the perfect gift for a journaling friend or significant other in your life. Write them a sweet note or a creative poem in the front flap in celebration of Valentine’s Day!
You will need:
1. Cut the burlap a little over half way down the center. Don’t worry about the extra, you will fold it into the book later.
2. Glue the card stock to the burlap. Make sure you have even edges along the top and bottom of the notebook. Then fold the extra burlap over the edge of the top and bottom sheets of your card stock and glue.
3. Grab the pages of your notebook and cut off a half inch from the edges. This way you won’t see the pages when your notebook is closed.
4. Weave the saddle stitch ribbon into the grand natural net ribbon. Then, hot glue the ribbon to the cover of the notebook.
Almost finished! Just snip off the rough edges and add your personal message in the front flap. We hope this tutorial puts you in the mood for Valentine’s Day as much as it did for us!
Seriously, how adorable are these? Washi tape hearts are perfect for any Valentine’s Day decorations. We decided to hang ours “bunting banner style” in the foyer but they also make perfect Valentine’s Day cards. We thought we would go ahead and make flowers as well since spring is right around the corner. At least for those of us in the south!
What I love most about decorating with washi tape is that you can make almost any design or object as long as your scissors can cut out the shape.
You will need:
1. Start by drawing your design. You will want to make sure you use a dark colored ink so that you can see the design through the other side of the card-stock.
2. Flip your card stock over and stick on the washi tape. You can alternate colors as much as you’d like. Make sure you cover your drawings on the back.
3. Cut out our designs.
4. If you choose to hang your cards, punch a whole in the top and string through a lengthy piece of ribbon.
How easy was that? Don’t you love how the colors and textures pop with washi tape? These card stock hearts and flowers are certain to brighten your day. Happy card making!
Happy Valentine’s Day
It’s Valentine’s Day! I have a couple quick and easy sweet treats that you can whip up for a yummy dessert for all of your sweeties on this special day. I love both of these recipes because they use store bought cake mixes. Cake mixes make it so easy to bake up a yummy dessert without having to spend hours in the kitchen. I hope you enjoy these Valentine themed cookies!
Raspberry Almond Cookies
1 box of white cake mix
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1 tub of vanilla frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the cake mix, eggs, almond extract, and vegetable oil in a bowl until combined.
3. Place small balls of dough(about 1″) on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes. You don’t want the cookies to brown.
5. Mix raspberry jam into the icing until you reach your desired color and flavor.
6. Ice the cookies once they have cooled.
1 box of strawberry cake mix
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
cream cheese icing
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil until combined.
3. Here’s where you have an option. You may immediately scoop the dough into balls and bake…OR you can chill the dough for about 30 minutes and then cut into hearts.
4. Bake for about 10 minutes.
5. Let the cookies cool and then frost with cream cheese icing(or whatever flavor is your favorite).
The possibilities are endless when it comes to cake mix cookies. I love experimenting with different extracts and mix-ins when I make these cookies. You can also make these cookies with one box of cake mix, and 8oz tub of Cool Whip, and 1 egg. The Cool Whip adds a nice fluffiness to the cookies. I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!
Valentine Lollypop Flowers
Have you made Valentine treats for all of your friends(or children’s friends) yet? If not, I have the perfect craft for you. This project combines two Valentine’s Day staples…candy and flowers! Head over to Rachael Rabbit to view the tutorial for this Valentine Lollypop Flower. Have fun making this cute treat for all of your Valentines
Easy Valentine Necklace
Do you want to give out extra special Valentines this year? Well I have an easy Valentine necklace for you that varies a little from the traditional Valentine that you usually receive. Grab the kids because they will love making these for all of their friends.
- Scrapbook paper or card stock
- Hole punch
- 1/4″ or 3/8″ Ribbon
- Marker, crayon, colored pencil, or pen
1. Trace a heart pattern onto the back of your paper.
2. Cut out your heart and fold in half. Punch a hole towards the top of your heart close to the fold. Unfold and you have two holes for your ribbon. Decorate your heart as desired. You can add a name, initial, or just draw a fun design.
3. Thread your piece of ribbon through the holes. For this necklace I tied my bow over the front of the heart, but you could also tie your bow on the top of the necklace that would fall at the back of your neck.
Wasn’t that easy? You can also write a sweet message on the back of the heart. I think it would be fun to put a lollipop through the loop of ribbon that’s in front of the heart so that you are making your special Valentine a double gift(who doesn’t love candy and a necklace?). This same method can be used to make gift tags to put on jars of Valentine treats Have fun making all of your Valentine’s Day gifts this weekend!
Bottle Cap Coasters
I loved looking at all of the Valentine’s crafts from the Link Party, so I decided to feature a couple Valentine’s crafts on the blog this week. Today I will show you how to make a bottle cap coaster. You could switch up the colors and make these coasters for any occasion. Lime and emerald bottle caps would make a cute St. Patrick’s Day coaster!
- 9 bottle caps(I used 5 white and 4 red)
- Crafting foam(this can be found at any craft store) or a wood cut out
- E-6000 glue or any other heavy duty craft glue
Start out by placing your bottle caps on the foam to get the dimensions of your coaster and then cut out your coaster base. My coaster measured about 4 inches by 4 inches. Feel free to use more bottle caps for a larger size coaster. You could also do a circle shape instead of a square. I saw some really cute heart foam cut outs at the craft store that would be great for this project as well.
Now it’s time to grab your glue. Turn your cap color side down and apply glue to the entire edge of the bottle cap. Stick your bottle cap glue side down on the coaster base. Continue this until you have glued down all of the bottle caps. Allow the glue time to dry before displaying your new coasters for use.
Experiment with different color combinations and shapes to create coasters for every occasion. I would love to see the different coasters you create, so please post them on our Facebook wall. I hope you enjoy making this easy craft!
Click here to purchase bottle caps
We are finally having a Link Party! We want to see your favorite Valentine’s Crafts. You must link up by 4pm EST on Friday, January 27th to be entered in the contest. We will narrow down all of our submissions to ten crafts, and then it’s your turn to vote. We will post the ten crafts on Facebook on Monday, January 30th, and the craft that receives the most “likes” in one week will be the winner. What’s the prize? The winner of our Valentine’s Link Party will receive a $50 gift basket full of RABOM goodies. Click on the “Link Up” tab at the top of the page to get started. We can’t wait to see all of your fun, festive crafts!