Here’s another awesome bowmaker that will be here bright and early tomorrow – we LOVE the decadence of these bows! Granna’s Goodies are some seriously beautiful creations, great for the girl who loves a bow with some lux! We just love this style! Stacked bows with feathers and sparkle tulle? Too awesome.
In her own words:
On favorite bows to make
Favorite – OTT Funky Loopy bows.. inspiration – whatever I can put my hands on to put on/in a bow…love the different and unusual … I make custom boutique outfits and appliqués
On style and getting started
I started making hair bow 3 years ago with the birth of my first granddaughter… tips – never give up…I thought I would never make a pretty bow…now I am actually loving the bows I make – just keep trying – never give up – let your style shine – no two bow makers are alike – everyone likes different bows !!!
On favorite RABOM product
Favorite RABOM product is the 2 1/2 dots/prints – Makes the best double loop / large boutique bows ever!!
Dear Ribbonistas -
This may be my all-time *favorite* blog post - I’m so excited to feature the seriously adorable and beautifully-made bows of one RABOM Ribboninsta Sew Like Mad a.k.a Joni! Joni agreed to let us take pictures of some of her cuties and also sat down to answer a few of our questions. After all, we love hearing from Ribbonistas! And we think her insight into creativity and retail apply to ALL crafters and artists, not just our bowmakers. I’m so delighted she wanted to be featured here!
What we love about Sew Like Mad bows: such great use of color and Machine Embroidery! Her centerpieces are so carefully and well-incorporated – we love ‘em!
Sew Like Mad will be at the HairBOW-nanza on August 26th with these gorgeous bows and so many more! You can find her at sewlikemadboutique.etsy.com on Etsy and facebook.com/sewlikemad on Facebook!
RABOM: Favorite bow or ribbon craft to make:
SLM: I love creating layered boutique bows. The possibilities are endless with mixing and matching several styles, patterns, and colors.
RABOM Where do you find your inspiration for your bows?
SLM My nine year old daughter, Emmy, is my inspiration. Many bows I create stem from what she and her friends love. When she loves an item I make, I feel successful. She loves helping with our home business and I enjoy have her perspective.
RABOM What are some other crafts or DIY’s you SLM I incorporate my passion for machine embroidery in my bows and other ribbon crafts. The combination of embroidery and ribbon allows me to create unique and personalized items.
RABOM What’s your fav RABOM product?
SLM Even after six years of shopping at RABOM I am still mesmerized by the solid grosgrain ribbon shelves. The ability to easily view and purchase ribbon in any size and color I could dream of is a bow makers dream.
RABOM Finally, how did you get started making bows? Any tips for beginners or beginning sellers?
SLM I began making bows six years ago for my daughter. There was a lot of trial and error but I found the process therapeutic. I tested many methods and supplies before I found the right fit for me. I started my small business selling bows within a few months. I recommend lots of practice. Find the method and style that fits you. Don’t copy what you have seen but create something unique and true to you.
If you’d like to show your RABOM bows and crafts on our blog, contact us! Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll tell you how you can participate.
Hello all! Here’s a simple RIbbon Sculpture tutorial that you can customize to any color palette you love – we’re thinking some Football Butterflies would be pretty adorable! The Butterfly Clippie is SO easy - just keep this ONE big thing in mind – you want all of your loops to be as symmetrical as possible. We’ll give you some tips to help you there.
- Micro adjustments – Pay attention and look at your loops carefully – Symmetry is King here and you may find yourself making the tiniest of adjustments, but for a bow this little, little adjustments make a big impact.
- Use a needle-nose glue gun Adjust all your placements FIRST, then insert the nose of the glue gun carefully in between your layers of ribbon – you might feel the heat but it’s worth it!
- Go slow, use exact measurements Ribbon Sculptures look wonderful when they are precise – just like any other bow.
You’ll need the following
- 3/8 ribbon
- alligator clip
- 3/8 inch Korker ribbon
- hot glue gun
1. Your loops are, in order
- 8 inches
- 7 inches
- 6 inches
- 5.2 inches (just a little bigger than 5, but under 5.25 inches)
2. Fold your loops in half and give the crease a good squeeze so you can see where the center of your loop should be. Overlap the bottoms just slightly, and glue together lightly. This gives your Butterfly wings a little more of a pointed wing instead of a perfect round loop. Be careful here, though, to make sure both bottom edges are equally tilted away from each other so your loop is symmetrical! Don’t just torque one edge and then glue it down – you’ll end up with a butterfly with one enormous wing!
3. Fold your crease over and check that it is directly over the center of your glued edges. Adjust in your fingertips to make sure both loops look symmetrical. Use your needle-nose glue gun to then glue-in-place as you’re holding.
4. Using same glue-in-place technique, overlap your butterfly wings and make micro adjustments to get the wings centered. Watch the space between the uppermost part of your loops to make sure they’re equal. Glue in place while you pinch.
5. Again, carefully place the wings on top of your covered Butterfly Clip and adjust until you get the perfect butterfly shape. Insider Tip – we overlapped them slightly, tucking the top wings under the bottom wings just a little to give it a more compact butterfly.
6. Lay down a strip of hot glue and gently place your Korker center on top.
( Motivation from Robert Collier, the original Life Coach from 1800′s Missouri! )
Go and make the everyday the extraordinary!
Hey Ribbonistas! We collected the top-requested simple tutorials from our RABOM Customer Service rep and we’re turning them into video tutorials! We’re starting simple – no crazy bows just yet, just simple techniques that every bowmaker needs to know. We hope to release new tutorials each Tuesday in order to more fully honor the Tutorial Tuesday Any requests for simple tutorials OR some complicated future ones? If so, let us know in the comments! We want to help you make the best, cutest, most awesome crafts possible!
Our favorite Ice Princess is back AND introducing Minnie!
Get this sale before it turns back into a PUMPKIN!! Through midnight TONIGHT, Wednesday 7/30 EST. Share with friends, spread the good news, and enjoy the benefits of Crafting Karma when your friends later inform YOU about awesome sales
Long time / no talk! Hey Ribbonistas. We’ve been busy here at the RABOM labs – we got Polka Dots back online (woo!), a new print for Back to School, and we’re getting ready to head to the Atlanta Market to look for the latest and the greatest in home & gift trends. So busy. But please enjoy these *glamour shots* of our 2.25 inch Polka Dots. We’re excited to have them back! And watch the blog because pretty soon we’ll have some videos for you… SO exciting. Take care, friends, and have a great Thursday!