Hello all! Here it is – the Christmas Tree Ribbon Sculpture Hairclip Tutorial! < that’s a mouthful. Wow.
Is this your first Ribbon Sculpture Hairclip? Great! This is a great one for a beginner start! It’s pretty easy – just keep these words in mind while you work: Slow, Symmetrical, and Simple. Work slowly, since this will allow you to place your ribbon switchbacks more precisely. And always pay attention to symmetry! Are your branches even on each side? Are the loops of your topper bow of equal length? Just keep checking your symmetry. Finally – simple! This is a simple ribbon sculpture, only takes one or two attempts to get it right, so don’t overthink it Three diagonal rows of rhinestones is all you need! You can do more, but if you don’t want to take chances, just stick with the Three Diagonal Rows pattern!
We hope you enjoy this tutorial and we can’t wait to see the pics of YOUR Christmas Tree Ribbon Sculpture Hairclips!
20% off Glitter Ribbon and Printed Ribbon is happening through 10/14/14 at RABOM! Here’s a few glamour shots of our Glitter ribbon! These are just five of the eight varieties of glitter ribbon on sale! (Glitterific, Stretch Glitterific, RABOM iridescence, Color Shimmer, 3/8 Dazzle Dots, Glitter Polka, Dazzle Grosgrain and Sheerly Glitter are all on sale)Enjoy and check out the sale right here
We love the RABOM Specialty Shop. Maybe it’s because it’s impossible to look at sparkly, wired ribbon without thinking “Christmas!” or maybe because we subconsciously just want presents (wrapped in these, of course). Or maybe we just love the Specialty Shop because the ribbon is just gorgeous and stylish! In honor of our 20% off sale going on through Tueday 9/30 (just two more days!) here’s a post of some of our favorite items from the RABOM Specialty Shop! Wired ribbon, embroidered ribbon, christmas ribbon, burlap, chevron, checks and color galore!
Hello all! This cute little craft is easy as pie. Much easier than pie, actually. If you’ve ever made a pie, it can be a traumatic experience depending on how DIY you go with that crust This craft is all about Elmer’s Glue (or an equivalent), water, grosgrain, a glue gun, scissors and some time! Here’s the recipe we used for making our stiffened, Glue Glazed Grosgrain.
Glue Glazed Grosgrain:
- 1 part water
- 1 part glue
- a place to hang your grosgrain so it does not touch while drying
Just whisk together glue and water (we poured water into our half-empty glues and shook them like crazy), pour into a small bowl with high sides. Add your grosgrain. Let them soak for a minute then pull the ribbons out one-by-one. You can pre-cut your ribbon strips so you’re not unnecessarily stiffening ribbon you won’t use. Gently pull the excess liquid from your ribbon before hanging up to dry but do not crinkle, squeeze or fold your ribbon. Let the ribbon hang perfectly vertically and dry suspended in the air. This should take 1 hour to 4 hours, depending on relative humidity. Don’t use the ribbon unless it’s completely dry. And there you go!
We think this would look SO cute hanging from a fireplace or in front of a window! Vary the sizes of your ribbon up a little and you can make a variety of sizes! Just subtract 2 inches overall from the lengths and you have smaller, squatter pumpkins to give you pretty varying sizes! Enjoy!
We’re so in love with these new Winter Holiday 2014 prints! We had a bunch on the table, so to speak, before narrowing it down to these 5 releases. And the BOWS – oh my WORD the bows! – are looking so cute! We can’t wait to see what our Ribbonistas come up with. So here’s some detailed, high-res looks at Winter Wonderland,
You just have to see these in person. They’re perfect! Granna’s Goodies bows are the expert work of one Granna, Sharon C. You can find her on Facebook and do all your shopping with her there – find price lists, size charts, and payment and order info on the left-hands side of her FB wall.
So what do we love about these bows? Well WHERE to start! The variety of colors and textures in these bows is so delightful and well-balanced. These are the kind of bows that a Bowmaker can love and appreciate just as much as a kiddo who just loves big bows! They’re beautiful from all angles and SO well made. Granna’s Goodies is a bowmaker after our own hearts – frills, loops, glitter, integrity and clearly made with love! Thank you to Sharon C. for letting us snap some pics of these great creations!
This craft debuted at our Fall Tent Sale and HairBOWnanza! While it proved to be a bit difficult for the kiddos (they did a great job! Thank goodness mamas were there to lend a guiding hand!), it was a HUGE hit with moms and Ribbonistas alike. And for good reason! Do you have a couple of scraps of green ribbon? Do you have a stick? Great! You’re set!
We’d love to see these decorate a garland on a mantle, use different colors of ribbon, or go really teeny tiny, like 4 inches tall and in entirely 3/8 inch grosgrain! Or maybe using alternating stick heights, the trees grow tall and skinny, get potted in some tall, skinny terre cotta pots and become standing table top decorations! There are a lot of possibilities with this Christmas Ribbon Tree.
So you’re going to need the following (items in italics are optional but shown):
- a smallish stick (4 to 7 inches tall, no more than 2 inches in diameter, extra points if the stick has a good joint at the top that can serve as an anchor for your hanging string!)
- at least 5 collective feet of ribbon, strands starting at “13 and going down to “6, in a mixture of 1.5, 7/8, 5/8, and 3/8 inch ribbon
- jute, twine or a strand of burlap for the hanger
- 3/8 inch sparkle ribbon for a bow
- glue gun
1. Cut your ribbons into strips, starting at 13 inches, and going down 1 inch in length until you have 8 strips, the shortest one being 6 inches. If you want to tie your ribbons to your stick first, then trim second, that’s a good option as well, although you may use more ribbon than necessary. Insider tip: Use stiff ribbon like grosgrain, sparkle tulle, RABOM iridescent, or something similar. Satins will work at shorter lengths, but shouldn’t be used for your bottom “branches” because they are not stiff enough to hold themselves horizontally. Double Ruffle will work at mid to short lengths.
- 13 inch – 1.5 inch wide
- 13 inch – 11 inch strips of ribbon: 7/8 inch wide
- 10 inch – 9 inch strips of ribbon: 5/8 inch wide
- 8 inch – 6 inch strips of ribbon: 3/8 inch wide
2. Tie your ribbons along the stick, using a double knot. Be careful to get the ribbon directly centered under the stick so both of your “branches” are of equal length. Make sure your second knot alternates directions – if your bottom knot was over-under, your top knot should be reversed. This is how you ensure your ribbon sticks out horizontally and is not shifted in one direction. The second knot should try to correct the direction of the first so there’s balance – I’ve attempted to show this, I hope it comes across! Just keep tugging till you get it into place – this may take a couple of tries but you got it, dude.
2.a. Trim your ribbons if necessary, then seal their ends with a lighter or other heat source. Carefully. I used a brand-new lighter to do this and things got a bit crispy!
3. Make a tiny bow, glue it on top! Using a fork, create a tiny basic bow, wrap thread around the center, cinch into a knot then trim your ends to your liking. Seal those ends.
4. Secure your twine / burlap / jute to the top of your stick. If there is no joint at the top, make sure your knot is tight to the stick!
Enjoy this adorable tree! This craft can be as advanced or basic as fits your needs – precut your ribbon for a kids craft, and go CRAZY with ribbons, garlands, different heights and pots for a very fun Mama-level craft!
Wow! We’re celebrating with 12% off EVERYTHING in the store, too! Happy Birthday, everyone!
Modern Candy Corn is pretty adorable – but in bow form? It’s super adorable. We can’t wait to see what our bowmakers do with this ribbon! Modern Candy Corn is just one of our new 2014 Fall and Halloween prints! Silly Monsters, Autumn Herringbone and Halloween Herringbone can all be found here and on our Facebook. These new prints + ALL our Printed ribbon are 20% off! Through next Tuesday, 8/12/14.
2014 Halloween and Fall printed ribbon is in! We’ve got Modern Candy Corn, Silly Monsters, Halloween Herringbone and Autumn Herringbone and *true story* more awesome seasonal prints to come! We’d never miss an opportunity to make a cute, new chevron
All Printed ribbon is 20% off this week – including these new ones! You can shop printed ribbon here. Sale runs through Tuesday 8/12/14, midnight EST.